It is crucial to say first that A Course In Miracles is a required course. Only the time you take it is voluntary. Free will does not mean that you establish the curriculum. It means only that you can elect what to take when. It is just because you are not ready to do what you should elect to do that time exists at all.
(You will see miracles thru your hands thru me. You should begin each day with the prayer “Help me to perform whatever miracles you want of me today.”)
1. The first thing to remember about miracles is that there is no order of difficulty among them. One is not harder or bigger than another. They are all the same.
2. Miracles do not matter. They are quite unimportant.
3. They occur naturally as an expression of love. The real miracle is the love that inspires them. In this sense, everything that comes from love is a miracle.
a. This explains the first point related to the lack of order. All expressions of love are maximal.
b. This is why the “thing in itself” does not matter. The only thing that matters is the Source, and this is far beyond human evaluation.
(Q and A re first 3 points.)
Q. HS (HS = Helen Schucman) Would you regard this communication as a kind of miracle?
A. There is nothing special or surprising about this at all. The ONE thing that happened was the Universal Miracle which was the experience of intense love that you have felt. (Don’t get embarrassed by the idea of love. Embarrassment is only a form of fear, and actually a particularly dangerous form because it reflects egocentricity. Do not feel guilty about the fact that you are doubting this. Just re-read them and their truth will come to you. I (I = Jesus Christ) love you, and I am not afraid or embarrassed or doubtful. MY strength will support you, so don’t worry and leave the rest to me. But when you see B (B = William “Bill” Thetford), be sure you tell him how much he helped you thru by giving you the right message, and don’t bother with worrying about how you received it. That doesn’t matter either. You were just afraid.)
(HS fearful in taxi about a communication which related Dave’s healing and Jonathan’s hernia. She thought it would be safer to dissociate the two. Instructions were: refer to point 1 and re-read NOW.)
4. All miracles mean Life, and God is the giver of the Life. He will direct you VERY specifically.
(Plan ahead is good advice in this world, where you should and must control & direct where you have accepted responsibility. But the Universal Plan is in more appropriate hands. You will know all you need to know. Make NO attempts to plan ahead in this respect.)
5.Miracles are habits, and should be involuntary. They should not be under conscious control.
(Otherwise they may become undemocratic. Consciously selected miracles are usually dangerous misguided and may destroy this will make the talent useless.)
6. Miracles are natural. When they do NOT occur something has gone wrong.
7. Miracles are everyone’s right, but purification is necessary first.
8. Miracles are a form of healing. They supply a lack, and are performed by those who have more for those who have less.
9. Miracles are a kind of exchange. Like all expressions of love, which are ALWAYS miraculous in the true sense, the exchange reverses the physical laws.
10. A miracle is a reversal of the physical order because it brings more love to the giver and the receiver.
(A miracle is misunderstood when it is regarded as a spectacle.)
11. The use of miracles as a spectacle to induce belief is wrong. They are really used for and by believers.
(HS has some fear about 11) and doubt about 9) and 10). Probably doubt by fear of 11).
(When you say “If you want me to I will” please add “and if you DON’T want me to I won’t.” This is the RIGHT use of inhibition. There has to be SOME control over learning for channelizing purposes. Remember retroactive inhibition which should be easy enough for you.Sometimes the new learning is the more important, and has to inhibit the old. It’s a form of correction.)
12. Prayer is the medium of miracles. Prayer is the natural communication of the Created with the Creator. Through prayer, love is received, and through miracles love is expressed.
13. Miracles are thought-creations. Thought can create lower-order or higher-order realities. This is the basic distinction between intellectualization and thinking. One creates the physical, and the other the spiritual, and we believe in what we create.
14. A miracle is a beginning and an end(ing). It thus abolishes time. It is always an affirmation of re-birth, which seems to go back, but really goes forward. It undoes the past in the present, and thus releases the future.