15. Miracles attest to truth. They are convincing because they arise from conviction. Without conviction, they deteriorate into magic, which is mindless, and therefore destructive, or rather, the uncreative use of Mind.
16. Each day should be devoted to miracles. (God created time so that man could use it creatively, and convince himself of his own ability to create. Time is a teaching device, and a means to an end. It will cease when it is no longer useful for facilitating learning.)
(SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Notes on this course have to be taken only under good learning conditions. The same goes for review periods. I will tell you when, but REMEMBER TO ASK.)
17. Miracles are teaching devices for demonstrating that it is more blessed to give than to receive. They simultaneously increase the reserve strength of the giver, and supply the lack of strength in the receiver. BE VERY CAREFUL in interpreting this.
INSTRUCTIONS:The purpose of this course is integration. I told you that you will not be able to use it right until you have taken it. As long as your identification vacillates, (and Bill’s is weak) you cannot accept the gift that belongs to you. You are still vacillating between recognizing the gift and throwing it away. Bill regards himself as too weak to accept it. You do not yet know its healing power. After you have passed the course, you will accept it and keep it and use it. That is the final exam, which you will have no trouble in passing. Midterm marks are not entered on the permanent record.
18. Miracles are the absence of the body. They are sudden shifts into invisibility, away from lower order reality. That is why they heal.
19. A miracle is a service. It is the maximal service that one soul can render another. It is a way of loving your neighbor as yourself. The doer recognizes his own and his neighbor’s inestimable value simultaneously. (This is why no areas of hatred can be retained. If you retain them, your own value is no longer inestimable, because you are evaluating it as X or infinity minus that amount. This is meaningless mathematically, which uses the term “inestimable” only in the very literal sense. Pun intended especially for Bill, (who originally did not get it.) Intended as a special sign of love.)
20. Miracles rest on the law and order of eternity, not of time.
21. Miracles are an industrial necessity. Industry depends on cooperation, and cooperation depends on miracles. (see below)
22. Miracles are cobwebs of iron. They unite human frailty to the strength of God.
(add for 22. HS considered changing “iron” to “steel”. Correction: No. Steel would not be a better word. Steel is very useful but it would have to be tempered by fire. Iron is the raw material. The point of miracles is that they replace fire, thus making it unnecessary.)
23. Miracles are natural expressions of total forgiveness. Through miracles, man accepts God’s forgiveness by extending it to others. The second step is inherent in the first, because light cannot tolerate darkness. Light dispels darkness automatically, by definition.
EXPLANATION INSTRUCTIONS: Miracles are associated with fear only because of the fallacy that darkness can hide. Man believes that what he cannot see does not exist, and his physical eyes cannot see in the dark. This is a very primitive solution, and has led to a denial of the spiritual eye, which always depends on light. Remember the Biblical injunction: “May I never forget that THINE eye is ever upon me, beholding the evil and the good.”
++There are two stages, one lower and one higher, which are involved in the escape from darkness:
1) the recognition that darkness CANNOT hide. This usually does entail fear.
2) The recognition that there is nothing you WANT to hide, even if you could. This brings escape from fear.
Corrections re pt. 22 cobwebs of iron. “This is upside down as stated. The part about ‘uniting human frailty with the strength of God’ is all right, but the explanation stops too soon. If iron is the ‘raw material’, cobwebs can’t become the iron. That is only the way it seems, because cobwebs are associated with the frailty & iron with strength. If you look carefully at the phrasing, you will see it is reversed (one point already tells you that miracles reverse the physical or lower order laws.)
The raw material, for iron, is heavy but crude, & stands for the body, which is a crude creation. The cobweb concept is closer to how the body should be regarded, i.e., as an airy & temporary home, which can just be blown away with a slight breeze.
22. The point should read “A miracle reawakens the awareness that the spirit, and not the body, is the altar of Truth. This is the recognition that leads to the healing power of the miracle.”
23a. A miracle rearranges the order of perception, and places the levels in their true perspective. This heals at all levels, because all sickness comes from confusing the levels.
(Tell B. about the idea (which is still too dim to HS) that the reason is not that you (plural) distantiate, doubt, or cannot believe. It is more of a reaction formation against a pull which you both recognize is so intense that you are afraid that you will be uprooted.
But remember that a cobweb is really stronger than the iron, if you see it properly. This fear is also why you couldn’t get the point straight.)
By the way, it is not true that you are both just scribes. You might remember that the Scribes were very wise and holy man and are even sometimes spelled with a capital S. If you want to go further, you might change the meaning of ‘just’ from ‘merely’ to ‘honest’, a term used in the Bible in association with ‘might’ or ‘strength.’ Tell B. you couldn’t make that pun if the original phrasing had been singular. (HS aside about liking /the assumption failure more.) Answer: It was cuter, but this one MEANS more. The REAL reason you don’t like it is because it refers to you in a very lofty position. This makes you nervous.)
Correction: And don’t lose sight of the emphasis on cooperation, or the NOT SINGULAR. That point about “industrial necessity” should read “corporate”, referring to the body of Christ which is a way of referring to the Church. But the Church of God is only the sum of the souls he created, which IS the corporate body of Christ. Correct to read: “A Miracle makes souls one in God, and leave in the next part about cooperation.”
Further Correction: “God” should read “ Christ”. The Father and the Son are not identical, but you CAN say “Like Father, LIKE Son.”
(Remind B. to get another notebook. I don’t give up as easily as HE does. If I could get YOU to listen, which was a miracle in itself, I can get him to register. He should appreciate this more than anyone else, having had some trouble with this problem himself.)
“Lord heal me” is the only legitimate prayer. This also means “Lord atone for me,” because the only thing man should pray for is forgiveness. He HAS everything else.
Now take this personally, and listen to Divine logic: If, when you have been forgiven, you have everything else, and
If you have been forgiven
Then you have everything else.
This happens to be the simplest of all propositions.
IF P then Q
The real question is, is P true. If you will review the evidence, I think you will find this inescapable. I went on very personal record to this effect, and I am the only completely True Witness for God. You have every right to examine MY credentials—in fact, I urge you to do so. You haven’t read the Bible in years.
Special Explanatory Note: As soon as you (H & B) have entered the second phase, you will be not only willing to enter into communion, but will also understand peace and joy. Your commitment is not yet total. That is why you still have more to learn than to teach. When your equilibrium stabilizes, you can teach AS MUCH as you learn. This will give you the proper sense of balance. Meanwhile, remember that NO EFFORT IS WASTED. Unless you remember this, you cannot avail yourself of MY efforts, which are limitless.
(Have a good day.) Since only eternity is real, why not use the illusion of time constructively? You might remember that “underneath are the Everlasting Arms.” BIBLICAL QUOTATION: “ If you are ashamed of me before men, I will ashamed of you before God.” (HS ? of misquote.) is interpreted as a threat ONLY as long you remain in the first step. (see above “++” for steps.)
What it REALLY means is that if you are ashamed of me (or embarrassed by love), you will project and therefore make it impossible for me to reach you. Make every effort you can NOT to do this. I will help you as much as you will let me.